In these unprecedented times we continue to offer unexpectedly personal service and we understand that your plans may have been disrupted. Please visit our dedicated coronavirus page to see how we can help you.
Hiring a motor home provides plenty of flexibility and freedom when it comes to exploring new locations, but what do you need to think about ahead of hiring one?
Firstly, it’s important to consider your needs and why you think a motor home is suited to your travels. If you intend to get out and explore, want to spend a weekend in luxury at a festival, or simply want to keep the family together, then a motor home could be the best option.
1. It may come as a surprise, but you can’t always drive a motor home on a regular licence – for instance, if a motor home weighs more than 3.5 tonnes, you’d need a C1 licence. However, the vast majority of camper vans and motor homes are below this weight, although there may also be restrictions depending on the age of the main driver.
In this instance, you’ll need to check with the hire company to find out what restrictions apply as it differs from firm to firm.
2. The size of the motor home you require will very much depend on your needs – larger vans offer more space and extra facilities for example, although they may not be required. If you think you’ll spend a lot of time in the motor home or are planning a longer getaway, opting for more space is probably the best option.
3. You should also consider the road network where you are travelling too, as certain roads or regions may simply not be suitable for larger motor homes.
4. Eating arrangements also need some consideration, as this will ultimately shape what sort of appliances you want to look for. If you plan to eat out or prepare very little, then a gas hob may be enough for your needs. However, if you need to cook regularly, or for many people, then more space is probably needed.
5. Finally, you’ll want to ensure that you have adequate insurance ahead of your trip and that you’re covered for all eventualities. Motor home and camper van excess insurance can provide peace of mind by covering the excess you would need to pay should your vehicle be damaged or stolen.
To find out more about motor home and campervan hire excess insurance and what this will cover for, just visit our policy page.
Date Created: 10/09/2018